about

Friday, November 16, 2012

good baby. bad baby?


"Is she a good baby?" 
This is a question I get fairly often from a lot of different people...from old acquaintances to random strangers in the grocery store.

And every time I hear it my insides get a little tense. 
I almost never say what comes to mind...
 I just smile and say "she's the best."  


"Is she a good baby?"


 {What does that even mean?!}

Is your puppy cute?! Of course your puppy is cute! All puppies are cute -- even the ugly ones!
What kind of a question is that??

For whatever reason this question really bothers me. If you're asking if she's good that means you think she could be bad. What makes a baby bad? Seriously. I'm curious.

Maybe what they mean to ask, "Is she a happy baby?"
That is what I think most people are really asking... is she happy? 
But if that's the case, then are you saying
 if she's not happy (i.e cries a lot or doesn't sleep well etc.) she is a bad baby?
And that is the part that I dislike the most. The thought that being happy is equal to being good, insinuating that if your baby fussed a lot or didn't sleep well he/she was bad {because she was too much of a bother to her parents}.


I doubt most people think of it that way when they ask.
I'm sure it is mainly a way for people to make small talk. I'm sure they mean well.
I'm sure I'm just a crazy person lol.
But it really does get me thinking about the mindset so many have towards children...
that they are less important -- their feelings, their wants, their needs
And that makes me sad.. 

I really want to help change the way our world sees children.

I'm excited :)





photo credit: Jenni Photography


1 comment:

  1. You have me wondering if I've ever said that to a new mom! I don't think I have, but wow...very insightful Amy!

    ReplyDelete